Saturday, November 12, 2005

Spring cleaning time...

It has always struck me, when I look around my home at this time of year, that I keep a huge amount of rubbish.
That is to say, clutter. Stuff I don't use. Stuff I don't need. Stuff that is just taking up space.
The traditional way of shifting all of this is by a garage sale, or throwing it in the bin in a fit of spring cleaning ! Well, it is Spring here in NZ after all, so if you don't have enough stuff for a garage sale, and you feel vaguely guilty at contributing a *perfectly good* thingumywatzit to the ever growing mountain of non-biodegradeable rubbish then there is an alternative.
You can give it away !

Yes, create some good karma for yourself, give someone something for nothing - and come away with a clear space and reduced dusting. The Chinese have known the value of this through the centuries, just read any book on Feng Shui and the first thing it will say is 'clear the clutter'. It's about keeping a margin, a gap, some breathing space and keeping the energy flowing.
I know the value of this from the happy faces coming to my door, helping to clear my house of clutter and giving me back my margins. I always feel better when I have removed something old and unused from my home. It's as though my energy was truly stuck to the object, and is released back to me once I have passed it along.

If you don't have enough stuff for a garage sale, and want to give my alternative a go, try Freecycling or "Throwing" things. There is bound to be someone who can use what you have.

Enjoy the experience !

And now for the quotes.

Einstein's Three Rules of Work:
1) Out of clutter find simplicity;
2) From discord find harmony;
3) In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
- Winston Churchill

"Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits."
- Thomas Edison

And finally, the humour.
Some nifty little sayings for you.

  • My idea of housework is sweeping the room with a glance.

  • It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

  • For every action, there is an equal and opposite government programme.

  • If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.

  • Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of cheques.

  • A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

  • Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.

  • Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

  • Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

  • Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.


Until next time, take it easy and enjoy life !

1 comment:

Spring Cleaning Time Again « Oh Waily Waily said...

[...] And finally, in the spirit of spring de-cluttering you might want to have a quick read of this from my last spring cleaning drive. [...]