Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Resuming normal transmission

Or at least, that's the intent.
We seem to have lived in total mayhem for the past six months. It's been an intense time of focus and constant hard work. Now, hopefully, we can resume normal transmission for a few months.
If you're wondering what all the hard work has been - take a quick look at the new Interislander ferry - Kaitaki. From now on if you travel across the Cook Strait on her you will be under our care. She has 4 evacuation systems each of which is 25m long and has a number of 50 & 100 person liferafts. To complete each system takes two weeks, with long hours installing it back on the vessel.
However, don't blame me for rotten sailing conditions or any delays to the sailing schedule we only work on her while she's bunkering on Sunday nights.

This past weekend also saw the end of the dreaded Boat Shows.
I've decided that it is nice to talk with people, especially when you find out how little they know about their equipment, but I have to say that I will be happy to have my weekends back.

I am also taking tentative steps into the world of technology by installing Skype on the work computer. It's bizarre to talk over the 'net and feel like you are standing less than a foot away from the person you are speaking to. I think that will take a bit of getting used to.
If anyone is already techie enough to be Skype-ing, you should find me listed. If you don't, just drop me an email and I'll send through the details.

I have also begun the search for a personal trainer to turn this aging body into something that might pass as mildly fit. I've given up on the gym as an answer. Since I sit on my backside all day for work and I haven't managed to find an inspiring-enough sport to get me into action in the evenings, I thought I might give the one-on-one thing a try. All-in-all I figure I'll be a challenge for any PT. If anyone has a good recommendation let me know.

Take care, talk to you soon.
~~~~~
"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it."
- Harry Emerson Fosdick

"Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have."
- Louis E. Boone

"Only the really plain people know about love - the very fascinating ones try so hard to create an impression that they soon exhaust their talents."
- Katharine Hepburn
~~~~~
For the occasional time when you want a scathing comment:

- In his case, the elevator rarely reaches the top floor.
- He would be out of his depth in a parking lot puddle.
- They got into the gene pool when the lifeguard wasn't looking.
- She has a room temperature IQ. (This one probably works best in Celsius countries.)
- If you give her a penny for her thoughts, you'll get change.

And my personal favourite:
- Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; she only gargled.

No comments: