Friday, November 04, 2005

The oddness of dreams...

I have long been interested in Carl Jung and the imagery of dreams. But I am not so fortunate to have regular visits from vivid and memorable dreams.
Perhaps it is because I don't take the time to record them when I wake, or because it simply hasn't been a priority to look into my psyche and soul in recent times.

About two months ago, on a Saturday, I woke from an odd dream. I did not record the details and they have faded away from my memory leaving only an imprinted feeling. But that morning I acted on the impulse the dream had given me.
I went online, even before my morning shower (unheard of !) and Googled a range of names for the best part of an hour.

My dream had been simply full of people from my childhood. I don't remember what they did or said, or what the dream imagery actually was. But I awoke with a desire to find out what they had done with their lives.

The names I looked for were not all long-lost friends, some were adversaries and passing acquaintances who had made an impact in short whistle-stop visits through my childhood. Some were people whom I spent 10 years going through the schooling system with in the same classes, but were never close to.

Most of the names did not register anything in Google, but a couple did. In the end the search took me to a website called OldFriends.co.nz where I read through the names listed for my Primary, Intermediate and High School. Many were familiar, but I didn't feel compelled to write to anyone. That is until last week.

Last week I took the plunge. I felt awkward. The person I was contacting was now important in the world. We had played together as young children - about 7 or 8 years old. My memory of our time as children was vague, but even after 25+ years I could still pull up a clear image of his face in my mind. I had read his profile and felt compelled to congratulate him on his success in life. Don't ask me why, because I'm not sure I know the answer to that. It just felt like the thing to do.
But I was timid. I waffled. I had internal arguments with myself. And finally, I wrote a short email - covering my ego with "you may not remember me but...".

As it turned out, he did remember me, and listening to ABBA as children.

I have always considered myself a fairly anonymous type of person. Not one to have a great impact on others, or be memorable in any big way.
So I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I was remembered clearly by someone so long after I had passed out of their everyday life.

It has shown me the imprint we can unknowingly leave, minor or major in the world; of the nature of being human and the longevity of memories; and the oddness of dreams, and the lessons they can unexpectedly bring us.

2 comments:

Reflections « Oh Waily Waily said...

[...] to almost exactly two years ago and was the subject of my third ever blog posting. It was called The oddness of dreams… and was originally posted on my old blog at Blogspot. It is nice to be slowly working my way [...]

Dave said...

I felt a similar urge about 8 months ago but didn't really act on it other than to try a brief search for some kind of New Zealand based classmates.com.

It was only when Bruce found me on flickr via some comment I made about the 'Colenso Society', an extracurricular club we belonged to at High School, that I too discovered oldfriends.co.nz and revived a bunch of memories about old acquaintances from the school/university days.