Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Oh Waily Waily begins...

A brief introduction to Oh Waily Waily may be necessary for those of you who are not dyed-in-the-wool readers of Terry Pratchett.
The title of my blog originates from two of his books for children, "The Wee Free Men" and "A Hat Full of Sky" .
The tiny blue characters who are heard to cry "Oh waily, waily, waily!" are a literary nod to the Picts of ancient Scotland, by way of much more modern Glaswegian influences. As a Scot by birth, and having spent two years of my life as a young adult in Glasgow it feels right to choose the cry for a blog that may well contain rants, tantrums and the verbal version of hair pulling.

But to start the blog off there will be no tantrums or rants. And I shan't be pulling my own or anyone else's hair either.
What I will do is begin just as I have always done with the Cerebral Muttering emails, with a few quotes that I particularly like.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."
- Winston Churchill

"One thing you can't recycle is wasted time."
- Anonymous

"Life is a long lesson in humility."
- Sir James Matthew Barrie

~~~
John and I recently spent a week in Fiji. Our annual holiday abroad. The weather was glorious, not a drop of rain the entire week and temperatures in the late 20s and early 30s. Just the thing to refresh the body and mind. As usual seven days just wasn't enough, and I have come home wanting more of the same.
For those of you who have been to Denarau, there is much change happening on the Island. The Sheraton where John and I were married last year is now undergoing renovations and will re-open as a Westin hotel. The Sofitel is well underway, and the Hilton and Denarau Resort are also now under construction.

We had a nice, belated, anniversary dinner in the Japanese restaurant at the Sheraton, but didn't repeat our visit to Ports o'Call for the flaming Crepes Suzette.

For those interested in photographs, you can take a look at my webshots album here: http://community.webshots.com/user/twoflour

~~~
And to finish this first entry, some cute proverbs:

- Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

- Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

- Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

- Politicians and diapers have two things in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

- An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world. A pessimist fears that this is true.

- Indecision is the key to flexibility.

- It hurts to be on the cutting edge.

- I am a nutritional overachiever

- I am in shape. Round is a shape.

- A day without sunshine is like night.

- I have kleptomania, and when it gets bad, I take something for it.

- The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

- Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone.

~~~
Until the next entry, take care and enjoy life.
- Lynn -

1 comment:

OhWailyWaily said...

Thanks for reading, and for the welcome.
Not too sure about that "something to say" bit. ;)
It took me so long because I'm only a very minor techno-freak. I only got around to learning the basic web design skills in the last year (see my work website for show and tell) and I still need serious upskilling.
But it is nice to have you here.
I've got your blog in my Feeds now, and will be asking all sorts of awkward techie questions now. ;)
Take care & say Hi! to your lovely wife for me.