Thursday, July 12, 2007

Take a Step Back in Time

Oooo. Look what I just found...

The Theban Mapping Project.

It came to me via this post at Archaeoastronomy.

I have to admit to having had Archaeoastronomy on my feed list for about a year now, but have not had the time to give it the proper once over. But now that I have time on my hands, I have started to go through my "Reading in Waiting" list. This may take a while since I have collected several blogs of interest over the past year.

As it has been over a decade since I have had anything to do with Anthropology, Archaeology or History in any serious form, I thought I would take some time to see what's on the go out there and maybe even pass on a few places and articles that I find of interest.

The Theban Mapping Project is the first website that I want to pass along to you.
As a lay person (never quite moved from doing the degree to doing the digging for money) and soon to be educator of the young, I think this site is fantastic.

Not only do you get a nice overview of The Valley of the Kings, but you get directed to a range of resources including where you can study to become an Egyptologist.

If that isn't great for kids (and big kids) with a digging ambition, I don't know what is.

For those with a limited interest in Egyptian history, ie you have heard of Tutankhamen's tomb, and you'd like to see what the fuss is about, then this is a website to visit.

It has some really nice information and would make a great resource for a child studying ancient Egypt at school.
A general meander through the tombs also makes great reading.

One proviso. This website has both text driven pages and the interactive maps. The maps are not going to be too user-friendly for those of you who are on dial-up internet (I know you are still out there) or on really expensive or slow broadband. But you can access almost exactly the same information by looking through the Articles, Sites, Search and Resources pages.

So, take a step back in time and wander through a bit of history.

No comments: