Thursday, July 19, 2007

Pirates of the Caribbean III: At World's End

We went to see this in the theatre a couple of weekends ago.



It sees the return of all the main characters, and the despatch of two of them.
Although I love to watch Johnny Depp playing Captain Jack Sparrow, I was sorely disappointed with this episode in the series.

Unlike the previous installment, this felt sluggish and bloated.
It felt as though they had run out of ideas and were just doing this as a routine money earner for Disney. Maybe I was feeling a bit out of sorts when I went to see it, but I don't think so. I think that the film makers had lost the earlier "rollicking fun" vision that made both prior pieces a joy to watch. The lighter side was completely overshadowed with the darker aspects; and that lack of balance, in my opinion, made this a less enjoyable experience.

I also like Chow Yun-Fat, but the potential introduction of other pirates just didn't work that well for me even though it probably could have. His talents weren't really used, and there was no light side here either. Even Barbossa has a lighter side, albeit a slyly subtle lighter side.

On the plus side, the costumes and make-up continue to be fantastic and the visual look of the films are still well crafted.

My rating: 2 out of 5.
My advice: If pirates aren't your thing, then don't bother with this. If you want to follow the series, then get this out of your local video store on a rainy Sunday. The special effects probably would look better on a theatre screen, but I'm not sure that I'd want to encourage you to spend that much money on this episode.

No comments: