Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Karangahake Gorge

camera-2.pngToday took us through the Karangahake Gorge. On our way back through we stopped and took some photographs. I thought I would share a couple of them.

A quick geography lesson will tell you that this gorge is between the town of Paeroa and Waihi. Paeroa of L&P fame, and Waihi of goldmine fame.

I've discovered that this little piece of the country even has a website. Good grief, who'd have thought it. The map's a bit blurry, or it's my eyes - I'm not sure which.

Anyway, here's the first photograph. It's the view across the bridge over the Ohinemuri River leading to the heritage walkway through the gorge.

Karangahake Gorge 2

And this is the view upstream from the bridge.

Karangahake Gorge 1

The Paeroa community website has a nice little potted history of the area, including the Karangahake gold-rush. And the Tourism Coromandel website has a nice simple map showing this area.

It's a really pretty area to visit, and having walked about half of the heritage trail through the gorge a number of years ago, I can definitely recommend it.
It is a gentle undulating walk that is accompanied by the great sound of the running water.
It is also possible to swim in the river just off the parking area, but you will need to be hardy or extremely hot, and of course careful not to do so when the river is running fast. I was lucky enough to have lazed about in the river a number of years ago while living on a marae in Paeroa doing archaeological stuff in the vicinity. Ah, there's nothing like freezing your bits off after spending a hot day in a dusty hole scraping away at dirt with a small trowel. :D

2 comments:

Suresh Gundappa said...

Lovely phot of this bridge. You could have tried bringing your eye level little more down to give more dpeth to photo. thanks for sharing.

ohwailywaily said...

Hi Suresh,
You are probably right about the bridge photo. I didn't take as much time as I should. I was too busy thinking about the hour and a half car journey to home rather than thinking about composition. :roll:
I'll try to remember to do it the next time I'm down that way, and then we can compare them. :)