Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Rachel's Holiday - Marian Keyes

Following on the theme of reading *girly* books, I picked this up in the library a week ago.
I have to tell you, I couldn't put it down. I finished it in two days straight (one day was a Saturday). Well okay, I actually put the book down at 12:30 at night, so that makes two and a bit days !
I don't know what I was expecting this book to be from the cover description, but it wasn't what I expected. It is funny ! I don't know if that's because Marian Keyes is Irish or what? It is also painful and poignant. It can make you want to shake the main character and say "why can't you see?" And, probably most importantly it can make you question your own view of the world and your own view of yourself.
I don't know if I was just having a deep-and-meaningful weekend while I was reading this, but I found it to be a mini-lesson in self-help therapy. It prodded me to think about myself, my actions and what they might look like to the outside world. It prodded me to think about tolerance, compassion and understanding. It also promoted the idea of hope and redemption.
Perhaps the ending was a little bit twee. But, you know what? I liked it.
Sometimes twee is good.

But, please God, don't let Catherine Zeta-Jones play Rachel. Pleeeeaaaasseee !

I highly recommend this.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: