Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Anzac Day

For the first time since my grandmother visited New Zealand when I was a youngster, I roused myself to get out of bed at 5am for the Dawn Service.
It was a miserable morning. According to the news, 10cm of rain in less than an hour. Strangely enough it didn't seem to be a problem, but then I was cunningly wearing thick ski pants.
A far cry from those first Anzacs and their comrades in the trenches of France.

I find a lot of things emotionally moving (just ask John how often I'm set to tears by stories of hardship and triumph), but never really had a great affinity with poetry until sixth form. That year we studied the poetry of war. Perhaps it was the mix of history with imagery that finally clicked for me.
The poet who has remained with me the most is Wilfred Owen.

Around this time of year I revisit his poetry. It's a reminder of the type of sacrifices young men made, and the horrific experiences of war.

For those who may not have read any of these works, here are some to take a look at:
Dulce et Decorum est
Futility
Anthem for Doomed Youth

~~~
On an administrative note:
I have moved my collective blogs (yes there are more than one here) to Wordpress, so if you want to check out the full range of rambles (book reviews, personal observations, etc) then the address is:
http://ohwailywaily.wordpress.com/

For the equivalent of this entry - check out the Latest Posts page.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You actually remember who you studied in 6th Form English? Wow. I feel ashamed. I can't recall anything about English except getting marks just below or just above 50%. Me no fink it showz, like.

The sad thing about reading Great War poetry is that it doesn't feel at all historic. It's contemporary. That misery is still with us. Nothing has been learned. The same mistakes are made again and again. Now that's sad...

OhWailyWaily said...

Nup, it don't show at all. Then you medikal fullas can wrote really scrufy like and no one seas yur Inglish.
;)

I can't remember who said it (probably someone excruciatingly famous), and I am paraphrasing:
"The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again, and expecting to get different results."

:(