Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Lessons from the first six months

It's been a little over half a year since our family expanded to include Miss OWW, and I have been thinking about all of the lessons she has brought into my life. There are quite a few of them and I thought I would share some with you.

Every time you think you know the routine, the baby will change it.


This is a guarantee. Please don't think for one minute that you are in any way in charge of what is happening, you are merely a bystander and personal assistant. Imagine working for the most changeable boss possible and you are part way to understanding life with your new baby.

Take any and all offers of help.


Whatever you do, don't be Ms Independent or Ms I Can Cope Thanks. If people aren't breaking down your door with arms full of frozen meals and offers of house cleaning, it's time to make a list of jobs someone else could be doing for you and then assigning them to each family member or friend who comes to congratulate you on your new bundle of joy.
Once upon a time we lived in a society that was close-knit and kids were brought up in an environment that included members of the extended family. If you are lucky enough to still experience that in your family, take full advantage of it.

Learn to express milk.


This applies to those who are planning to breastfeed their little ones. Take every opportunity to bank milk in the freezer. It will allow you the flexibility to have a life that does not revolve around the feed, wake, sleep cycle of your baby. It is also pretty good value to see the joy it can give a Dad to feed their progeny. If you don't work at this one the baby will keep you at beck and call for a good number of months before you can have more than a couple hours to yourself.

Being Bewildered is Normal.


At least for part of the time you will find this to be the case. You may lose track of hours and days. Mr OWW likes to razz me about my love of lists, forms and paperwork of all types but I can truly say that there is a time and a place for these things. I would suggest that being a new Mum is one of them. I can't begin to tell you how many times I would forget the numbers of feeds Miss OWW had during the day or how long she had slept. Sleep deprivation tends to play havoc with your ability to remember things from one minute to the next. Bewilderment is bound to occur.

I will post a list of my little anti-bewilderment aides shortly, should you wish to avail yourself of ready-made solutions.

In the meantime, if you have any lessons to share please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: