Monday, November 05, 2007

Skinny Bitches are Popular

While thinking about topics to write for the NaBloPoMo it occured to me that I should look to my own blog entries for a bit of inspiration. With that in mind it was easy to leap right to the skinny. Skinny Bitch, that is.

The Skinny Bitch book review is never far away from the top of my most visited and read posts. If you don't believe me, take a look at the sidebar section that tells you what my visitors are reading right now. What makes this of interest to me is the fact that the posts relating to this book are over a year old now. It seems Skinny Bitches are not only popular, but they don't go out of fashion either.

I wondered just how popular they were so I did a quick check of the site statistics and find that being a Skinny Bitch is over four times more likely to get you a visit than your next nearest rival in the world of Oh Waily's musings.

What does it say about our world that a book with a provocative title about eating as a vegan should get that many visits on an ongoing basis?  Hmm, it is food for thought.

I loved this book. I gave it a 4 out of 5 on my rating scale. I thought it was a catchy, must-read-this-book title. I thought it was a great way to drag people into a topic they would not necessarily approach if it had been called something mundane like... "Become a vegan and get skinny" or "Stop eating all that processed food and you won't get fat".

It wasn't always a pleasant read. The section on slaughterhouses should increase the number of vegetarians in this world by no small amount. It presented what is probably viewed in regular society as something of an alternative lifestyle in a savvy, cosmopolitan way. The tree-hugging, hair-shirt wearing imagery of vegetarians and vegans gets a bit of a battering courtesy of these two ladies. The ladies in question being Kim Barnouin and Rory Freedman.

If you want to read more from Rory Freedman you can take a look at her articles at The G-Living Network. Otherwise if you are willing to wait for me to get the next available copy, I will be reading and reviewing the second installment in the Skinny Bitch series - "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch" when it is released this year. I'll let you know what I think of the recipes and ideas, and perhaps we can all be SBs together.

No comments: