Thursday, November 02, 2006

What's On The Bookshelf? - IV

This is bookshelf number 4. It contains a mixture of my own books and a range of books 'gifted' to me that I may or may not have read, so I do not claim them to be a true reflection of my character or taste.

Fourth Shelf, Small Bookcase


The gift books:

  • Reader's Digest Condensed Book, containing:

    • Daddy - Loup Durand

    • First Light - Carol O'Biso

    • Death Train - Robert Byrne

    • A Gift of Life - Henry Denker



  • Challenge - Warwick Collins

  • Gorky Park - Martin Cruz Smith

  • Dangerous Lady - Martina Cole

  • Blood Red, Snow White - Diane Henry & Nicholas Horrock

  • Death of an Angel - Warwick Collins

  • The Tears of the Tiger - Christie Dickason

  • Wolf Winter - Clare Francis

  • The Legacy - Lynda La Plante

  • Eternity Road - Jack McDevitt

  • Red Crystal - Clare Francis

  • Looking for Trouble - General Sir Peter de la Billiere

  • Miss Smilla's Feeling For Snow - Peter Hoeg

  • Sarum - Edward Rutherfurd

  • Compelling Evidence - Steve Martini

  • Loves Music, Loves to Dance - Mary Higgins Clark

  • A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth

  • The Hope - Herman Wouk

  • The Talisman - Lynda La Plante

  • Bella Mafia - Lynda La Plante

  • The Cuckoo's Egg - Clifford Stoll

  • Take No Farewell - Robert Goddard

  • Bridget Jones's diary - Helen Fielding


The books that are my choice by purchase:

  • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - Vonda McIntyre

  • Life, the universe and everything - Douglas Adams (John's book actually)

  • The Complete Stories of Lewis Carroll

  • Olympia - Complete Guide

  • The Alhambra and the Generalife (Tourist guide)

  • Wild Swans - Jung Chang

  • Living Dangerously - Ranulph Fiennes


And the shelf ends on that derring-do note.
What does this entry tell me?
Boy do I keep a lot of unread books around the house!

If anyone wants to give a strong recommendation for any of the gift books, feel free to leave a comment. Of that list, I think that Bridget Jones is the only one that I have read, and that was because it was a gift for my 29th birthday. What was the gift-giver thinking, I ask you? :D

And because I like balance in my world, if you have comments on the gift books that contain phrases such as: "run away", "use it as a doorstop" or "burn it" (sacrilege, so be very sure before you go there) ; feel free to leave expletiveless comments too.

Oh, and before I leave you to your day, I thought I would give forewarning that this is the last of the small bookcase. The next "What's On The Bookshelf?" will be bigger, and the shelves after that have books stacked two deep across the entire length. Did I mention I'm a bit of a bookaholic? That I can't leave the public library without at least five books? That I have to be dragged out of Borders with glum backward glances if I don't have a little plastic bag bulging with a new addition to the collection? No? Okay...

...perhaps I should have mentioned that at the start.

3 comments:

Solnushka said...

I wonder why so many people give you Lynda La Plante novels?

I'd burn the Bridget Jones Diary thing. Dredful whiney female.

ohwailywaily said...

Perhaps the LLP novels are so terrible they feel the need to vanquish them from their own store of books?
I don't know why, other than that. Maybe I should read the marketing blurb on the covers and find out what they're about?

Agreed about Bridget Jones, she's definitely cringe-worthy. Although I did have a laugh at it originally, pre-Renee Zellwegger & the movies.
Some things are like a sore tooth - you just can't stop poking at it, no matter how much it hurts.

Solnushka said...

Bridget Jones would have been funiier if so many women hadn't said to me 'But that's me! That's my life!' about it in an admiring and pleased sort of way. Which I thought was rather tragic.

Regarding LLP: they want to share the pain, perhaps? Although as blockbuster type reading material goes I shouldn't think they are that bad. They keep making them into TV series over here and I seem to recall they are rather hardbitten police dramas with what I'm sure reviewers would call 'strong' female lead characters.