Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Walk Score

Are you concerned about your carbon footprint?
Do you want to walk or cycle more?

If so, then the Walk Score website might be the thing you've been looking for.

This nifty little service rates how walking friendly your neighbourhood is.
This isn't just for our friends in the USA, I put our address in and up we came.



With a Walk Score of 58 out of 100, we're certainly above the middle zone. In fairness, I think we should score a lot higher - in the 70s at least. There are considerably more amenities within a kilometre or so of our address, but only a smattering appear in the list generated. They even miss the rather large park that is about 500 metres directly to our north of our home, so it needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Still, it is one of those fun things to do if you're on the web and want to check it out. Report back on your neighbourhood and we'll see who scores the highest. The prize for winning? A slimmer waistline. ;)

3 comments:

Bruce said...

55 here; we'd have 89/100 if we still lived in Wellington :-(

Tommi said...

My walk score is 35. That’s not so bad.
This service can be rather useful especially for those
who are going to buy a house or just want to estimate their present location. I have also tried one more service at
http://drivescore.fizber.com/. It is called Drive Score.
With the help of it you can see how close establishments are by car. My result is 50. Drive Score calculates your score based on the number of places within a convenient driving distance. The greater the number of businesses nearby the higher the drive score.

ohwailywaily said...

@ Tommi:

Interestingly, my score at DriveScore was 62. Just like WalkScore, I think this is extremely low for our neighbourhood. It generated some very strange results as well. Last time I looked, the National Library was in Wellington, not 2.46 miles away from my home. Although I wouldn't complain if it were that close to me. ;)
I guess these services will improve over time, and are reliant on their search engine's capability of finding businesses listed in any given neighbourhood.

Thanks for the link. :)