Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Month of May in Books

May was a highly successful month for reading.
All together I managed six fiction books and a very petite non-fiction book.

That puts me on target to surpass my stated goal of 24 books or more for the year. It has also suggested that May has been a much more organised month than the preceding four, allowing me the time to do these sorts of things.

In brief, the books of May were:

A Death in the Venetian Quarter - Alan Gordon
Every Boy's Got One - Meg Cabot
Heavenly Date and Other Flirtations - Alexander McCall Smith
Jester Leaps In - Alan Gordon
The Lark's Lament - Alan Gordon
The Miracle at Speedy Motors - Alexander McCall Smith

This last fiction book was my birthday present and was devoured in two nights reading. Ah, there is nothing like a nice visit with Precious Ramotswe, even if you do feel the odd need to slap Mme Makutsi.

As you can see I have discovered a new fiction writer that will be joining my stable of regulars. Alan Gordon has leapt in with his Fool's Guild series.

I also dabbled with Meg Cabot, of The Princess Diaries fame. This book was meant to be aimed a little older, with the protagonists in their early thirties. Personally I don't know anyone older than eighteen who would come out with some of the dialogue presented, but like a sore tooth I just had to keep pressing on until it was over. Mushy, cute, chicklet-lit definitely. Emphasis on chicklet. Surprisingly, the guts of the story is based on the author's own elopement to Italy but told from the viewpoint of a rather ditzy best friend/bridesmaid. There's a nice addendum detailing those things that were "true" and those that were not.

How to have kids & stay sane - Nigel Latta

This little book was a gem of a light-hearted read. Written by a kiwi clinical psychologist who actually has children, and illustrated with very un-pc cartoons, it is bound to bring a smile to your face. Or in my case, tears running down my face while reading the chapter entitled "Things they don't tell you: the bath poo."
I'd like to share an example of the writing that doesn't involve baths...
Once you understand that all kids want is to rule the world, then you'll be fine. They don't want much, just total world domination, which is of course completely mad. It's not their fault, that's just the way children are. Some of them grow out of it, some of them become evil criminal geniuses, some become parking wardens, and some of the become President.

So my daughter isn't the only megalomaniac then. Nice to know.

---


Full reviews of some of these books may follow.

3 comments:

Solnushka said...

I shouldn't ask this as I have coursework to finish, but let's pretend that I will need something to do while I lounge around at home with lot's of leisure time once the baby is here...

What are the Alan Gordan books about?

ohwailywaily said...

Hi Sol,

The Fool's Guild series is loosely based on Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night". Alan Gordon has created a quasi-secret society in the Guild which includes fools, jesters, troubadours, etc. They are a secret spy-like organisation that seems to attempt to keep the world peaceful and benevolent, even if it means ousting current rulers.

They are light historical mysteries with a bit of snappy dialogue and a bit of intrigue and humour running alongside. I can recommend at least trying them out as the loads of leisure time you will have shortly will probably suit the "no need to think too hard" style.
;)

Here's the Wikipedia about him: Alan Gordon

Speaking of loads of leisure time, that's mine up now. Best get on with doing all that other stuff (dishes, laundry, cleaning, etc) before the little leisure-giver wakes up.
:)

Solnushka said...

Well, and much to iritation the library doesn'y seem to do Mr Gordan.

Still, I live in hope. They were stocking some _monumentally_ trashy vampire books that imani recommended ages and ages ago now so...