Tuesday, October 03, 2006

What's On The Bookshelf? - III

The beginning of this, the third installment of What's on the Bookshelf, are the books that perch on the edge of the shelves. Followed by the regular inhabitants of this shelf.

Third Shelf, Small Bookcase



  • Materia medica

  • Roget's Thesaurus

  • Sketch for a Theory of the Emotions - Jean Paul Sartre

  • Women and Power - Rosalind Miles

  • How to stop worrying and start living - Dale Carnegie

  • Man and his Symbols - Carl Jung

  • Four Archetypes - C.G.Jung

  • Memories, Dreams, Reflections - C.G.Jung

  • What Not To Wear - Trinny Woodall & Susannah Constantine

  • Fast Feng Shui for the Soutehrn Hemisphere - Mai'a Martin

  • Whose Body? - Dorothy L.Sayers

  • Mansfield Park - Jane Austen

  • The Dark Room - Minette Walters

  • Your Money or Your Life - Joe Dominguez & Vicki Robin

  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen R.Covey

  • Early Socratic Dialogues - Plato

  • Three Men In A Boat - Jerome K. Jerome

  • The Magician's Nephew - C.S.Lewis

  • The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - C.S.Lewis

  • The Full Cupboard of Life - Alexander McCall Smith

  • In the Company of Cheerful Ladies - Alexander McCall Smith

  • Friends, Lovers, Chocolate - Alexander McCall Smith


The Alexander McCall Smith books are on loan from my mother, but I just love the Precious Ramotswe stories (The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series) that I know I will add them permanently one day.

  • Striding Folly - Dorothy L.Sayers

  • Hangman's Holiday - Dorothy L.Sayers

  • Magician - Raymond E.Feist

  • Practical Thinking - Edward de Bono

  • The Te of Piglet - Benjamin Hoff

  • Get Rich, Stay Rich - Martin Hawes & Joan Baker

  • The Folk of the Faraway Tree - Enid Blyton

  • Walking the Talk - Carolyn Taylor

  • The Wicked Day - Mary Stewart

  • The Last Enchantment - Mary Stewart

  • The Hollow Hills - Mary Stewart

  • Stormy Petrel - Mary Stewart

  • Madam, Will You Talk? - Mary Stewart

  • Nine Coaches Waiting - Mary Stewart

  • The Lord of The Rings - J.R.R.Tolkien


There ends Shelf Number 3 and on an epic note too.

I note that the theme of having at least one book per shelf with stories about animals, or small hairy creatures continues. And we see the start of my love of last century whodunnit authors. At one time I had the entire collection of Agatha Christie novels in hardback, but I have since divested myself of those.

I have to confess that at first I thought this would be a quirky, but interesting way for you to get an insight into my world. But now I have discovered a desire to set aside a pile of books for re-reading, finishing and in a couple of instances actually starting.

Hmmm. Maybe the next few book reviews might be Ex Libris.

If you missed the first two shelves, they can be found here:
Shelf One
Shelf Two

And if you are keen to see the full list I have added my library to LibraryThing. You can search for me in the "Search users" box by the name Twoflour. Be warned, I haven't tagged or rated everything yet, but I am planning to get there.
A big thanks goes to Vicky from Gone to the Dogs who mentioned LibraryThing in her post My night-time reading canon.

May you all have many happy hours reading.

2 comments:

Solnushka said...

Deary me. We seem to share the same taste in light reading. Or at least, my bookself is fairly full of Sayers and Stewart books too.

ohwailywaily said...

You just can't go past Dorothy and Mary for light bedtime reading, or when you need a pick-me-up "fuzzy-feeling" read.