Saturday, July 15, 2006

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Airline entertainment for the journey home began here.

Once again, a children's piece. Hmmm, is it me or the airline causing this pattern of viewing? I'm not sure on that one.

Let me say from the outset: I am not a fan of Jim Carrey.
So for me to have actually chosen to watch this movie is pretty much an indication of the great lack of choice on our return flight to NZ.
Also to be noted, I have not read any of the Lemony Snicket books so I have no background to associate this film with.

So what did I think of it?

I liked the visual mood of the film very much. It was as though everything was in a perpetual state of greyness. I thought the casting was very well done. You can never really go wrong with Billy Connelly.
Meryl Streep did a blisteringly good turn as Aunt Josephine, and Timothy Spall has taken to character pieces like a duck to water. All up I found all the characters pleasingly quirky and I could even take Jim Carrey's overacting on this occasion as it seemed to fit perfectly with Count Olaf's own acting talentlessness.

The storyline was straightforward, as you would expect in a movie tailored for little children upwards. Although I did think it to be slightly dark and foreboding for very little ones. There's no need to introduce darkness and cynicism into their lives too young don't you think?

I would recommend this for a wet and cold Sunday afternoon in winter, rented on DVD. Or for the 'trapped indoors during school holidays' occasions.

And now I might even read some of the books. Although I am led to believe the movie merged several of the stories together. Oh well, you can't have everything can you?

No comments: