Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Sound of Paper

The Sound of Paper is another book on the creative life by Julia Cameron.

If you are feeling in need of a creativity boost, or just wish to read a lovely book, then this is one to enjoy.

I have four books by this author in my library at home, and this one is tempting me to add it to the collection. It is full of essays that track the seasons as the author compiles ideas for this work. You get a nice view into Ms Cameron's world, both personal and professional, but not so close as to create a feeling of voyeurism. It strikes me as someone sharing their 'flashes' of realisation and personal insight, but with a touch of down-home comfort.
I find myself feeling as though we were having a chat together over a cup of tea as I read these wonderful snippets of life. The form of the book appeals to me very much because of this tea-time feeling and the short essay structure.

Each essay concludes with a simple exercise which you can do to provoke and provide food for your creative soul. Actually, even if you weren't requiring it for 'artistic reasons', the exercises are still worth doing for the fun of it.

If you want to start from the beginning, then start with The Artist's Way.
You will find the themes of the books to be similar, but with "The Artist's Way" it is a more structured process of freeing yourself up to your own creativity. "The Sound of Paper" feels more like a Sunday afternoon amble through the creative playing fields.

On the whole I would give this a rating of 4 out of 5.

No comments: